Friday 3 July 2015

A Little Chat About Posture



A Little Chat About Posture

(View Blog at www.RikFitDC.com)

 
Back with another RikFit blog, but this time on a topic that I don’t see being covered too much. I see many experts cover this topic, however even though it seems to be an increasing issue with our society, people just brush it aside and don’t actually do anything about it. The topic I am talking about is posture.

The reason I am writing this blog is over the past few weeks I have been very observant of peoples postures including mine, I see elderly people hunched over waddling from side to side because they sit in a chair all day, I see tall people trying to be small, small people trying to be tall, girls sticking their bums and chest up, guys in the gym looking like apes with arms dangling in front of their body instead of to their sides. It hasn’t frustrated me but it’s made me realise that bad posture is more predominant then I originally thought, I never paid attention to it until recently when I realised that a lot of my issues with inability to perform certain exercises safely was due to my posture and the way I moved throughout the day.

Now before I go on with this blog I think I should point out that I am no sort of an expert in this area, I have only studied it minimally in my own time and do not have all the answers to questions on posture. However I do have some experience with helping individuals correcting their posture and I am quite observant of other people’s posture in day to day life.

I don’t believe posture to be the number one priority for everyone, but I do believe it should be something everyone should be mindful of. Your posture covers the positioning of your limbs and torso from the bottom of your feet to the top of your head, some individuals are born with posture issues but many develop them due to their lifestyle and the way they move. Before I go on to cover what may cause bad posture and how you may prevent it, I’d like to cover 3 typical spinal issues that are quite common and effect whether someone has a good/safe posture or bad/dangerous posture.

You may have heard of them before, they are as followed:

Kyphosis - excessive outward curvature of the spine, causing hunching of the back. You will most commonly see this in individuals who sit in a chair for the majority of the time or allow their shoulder blades to protract when that are doing daily activities.

Lordosis - excessive inward curvature of the spine. This tends to be more common in individuals who are obese as they have to compensate for their anterior (front) distribution of weight, causing them to lean back and put pressure on the lumbar section of their spine. Also in my opinion but I’m not sure whether it is true or not, I see this to be very common in individuals who partake in sport of physically demanding activities from a young age. I see many power training type individuals, most commonly sprinters, with quite an extended lower back that seems to occur naturally for them. I could be mistaken and they could just have huge gluteal and lat muscles but I often here these individuals suffering from lower back issues unless they are taking action to keep everything balanced and evenly functioning.

Scoliosis - abnormal lateral curvature of the spine. Now scoliosis in my experience tends to be much less common, I do not see many people with this issue but I know it to be quite common with individuals who carry loads for a long duration of time on one side. Individuals such as postmen are a great example for this issue carrying bags on their stronger side for a lengthy amount of time.

For the examples I gave for each above, I think it is important to point out that they may not be a severe as actual spinal curvature, they could actually just be muscular imbalances. For example, kyphosis would be most commonly tightening of the pectorals, anterior deltoids and abdominals, along with the loosening and lengthening of the upper back muscles, rhomboids, trapezius, latissimus dorsi, posterior deltoids etc. Lordosis would be the tightening of the posterior muscle around the lower back area, mainly gluteal muscles, erector spinae and many other lower back muscles, along with the lengthening of the abdominals, oblique’s and possibly hip flexors. Scoliosis would be the tightening of a group of mainly lateral muscles on a given side of the body, such as the tightening latissimus dorsi, oblique’s, serratus anterior, hip flexors and gluteal muscles on one side and then the lengthening of them on the other.

Hopefully now you have an understanding of the 3 most common spinal disorders and how the body can be influenced into moulding itself into any of the 3 listed. As I said they are the 3 most common issues I see with posture, there are obviously other areas of the body that effect posture such as whether your feet are flat, invert or evert, rotate overly inwards or outwards, whether your knees naturally internally rotate when flexed or over externally rotate, the way you tilt your pelvis naturally, posterior or anterior tilted, are your shoulders overly protracted or retracted so on and so on. But without going into too much detail, I’m going to give you one or two tips on how the prevent these issues from occurring.

First have a look at yourself or get someone to take an image of how you stand from the front, back and sides, then take a look at it and identify if you have any issues, are your shoulders rounded, is your head/neck leaning forwards, is your lower back curved, are your legs straight or bent, is your bum tucked in out pushed out, are your feet pointing in or out etc.. If you are unsure what a good/safe posture is then you can always look online to see what is most commonly referred to as a good posture, then you can compare it with your posture.

Secondly start taking action to fix your posture, is you have identified rounded shoulders, do exercises that help retract your shoulders and keep them in a neutral position, along with stretches that help lengthen the muscles around your shoulders and chest. If you don’t know what muscles to train to correct or even your posture out, then again seek the guidance of a book, a coach or online, there are 1000s of sources of information out there that can give you guidance on how to strengthen and lengthen specific muscle groups.

Lastly BE MINDFUL, if you are sat in a chair, identify how you are sat, if it is unaligned and uneven then correct it yourself, sit up right, make sure your spine is neutral and your pelvis is, put your shoulders slightly back and plant your feet on the floor. Also do it when you are moving around, walking, running, cycling, jumping, rolling, lying, crawling, anything and everything. I’m not saying be a posture police officer, but I am saying maybe for 5 minute here and their correct yourself instead of falling into that bad and unsafe bodily positioning.

You may be reading this now and thinking, “right ok he has made his point, posture is important blah blah blah” but believe me, you will be AMAZED at how your posture can make your prone to injury, especially your form/bodily positioning during heavy weight training. Your body will tighten up and tighten up until eventually POP, something will go and you have to pray it’s not too serious! So don’t obsess over it but don’t neglect it either, find that happy medium where you maintain a good healthy posture that prevents you from feeling aches and pains from the bottom of your feet to the top of your head.

Well as usual I hope you all enjoyed this blog post and leave learning a thing or two on how posture can be effected through your lifestyle, job and daily activities as well as how to take action to improve your posture to prevent the increased risk of injuries, bodily curvature, tight muscle and aches and pains. I can imagine one or two of you sitting upright in your chair now and realising that you was quite slouched and curved whilst you was reading this blog. Remember to not be a posture police officer but to be MINDFUL of how you stand, sit, move and what is tight, lose or unstable. Please comment below if you have any input in to this blog and share it with anyone you know who’s a sloucher or a leaner or any other nick name you can think of, it might just stop someone from injuring themselves in the future!

Contact via:





No comments:

Post a Comment